Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How to Peel a Potato



Are you tired of standing at the kitchen sink and peeling potatoes? There's an easier way. I learned this technique from my mother-in-law years ago.

First, score your potatoes around the thickest part with a knife. Then, fill a large pot with hot water, enough to cover the potatoes. Then, bring to a boil. I boil them until a butter knife easily passes through. Probably takes about 20 minutes.

Then, I pour out all the hot water and run cold water over my potatoes. Carefully pick up the potatoes (they're hot!) and start removing the skin. It just slides right off! If you want, you can wear gloves of some kind. Another technique is to place the potatoes in ice water until they are cool enough to handle.

So now, instead of standing at the sink for a long period of time, you simply slide off the skins of the potatoes. Very easy! If your potatoes have lost of their heat, just pop them in the microwave for a few minutes.

Thank you Margaret for your inspiration of this post.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that turtle is so cute! Is it really trying to eat the mashed potatoes?

    ReplyDelete