Saturday, December 12, 2009

Yamato Japanese Steak House & Sushi Bar - A Restaurant Review


George, my mom, and I were out one weekend before Thanksgiving looking for a new dining room table.  We went to a few stores and decided it was time to eat dinner so we tried to go to Texas Roadhouse.  It was packed and their computer was down which made for a very long wait.

We then decided to go to Grillsmith at the Wire Grass Mall in New Tampa.  I really enjoyed my last meal there but my husband wasn't too keen on it.  He doesn't haven't a favorite dish there, so he doesn't consider it as a place he would like to eat...pppffftt.  We swung by there and saw people standing outside, so that really put the breaks on Grillsmith.

I remembered seeing a new Japanese steak house which had newly opened a few weeks prior.  It is all the way down at the end of the mall, so I figured, maybe it will be less crowded.  We swung by there and opened our car window to talk to my mother in her van.  And then it hit us.  The most delicious smell coming from behind us.  Well, what was behind us?  Yamato's Japanese Steak House.  Of course, George did not want to go to a big fancy place where you sit with other people at a grill.  However, I remember that my other favorite place, Wasabi's, has a separate restaurant area.  We all agreed to try it out.

When we walked in we were greeted immediately by a very nice hostess.  The decor is modern Japanese with lots of wood, hardwood floors, and adequate lighting.  I asked the hostess if they had a separate restaurant area which they did.  We were immediately showed to a nice cozy booth and could see out a large window.  The atmosphere was kind of romantic and I could see how it would be a nice place to bring a date.

The menu is extensive and it took us longer than usual to pick out our food.  I decided we should have spring rolls for appetizers and George picked out tempura sushi as an appetizer.  The three of us shared these which were absolutely delicious.  The sushi was particularly good.  The shrimp inside the sushi is tempura fried and then the whole piece of sushi is tempura fried.  The spring rolls were fresh and very good.

My mother ordered a chicken Bento box.  I ordered grilled shrimp and scallops with veggies and rice.  George ordered teryaki chicken and rice.  Of course, I had to taste everyone's meal and all were extremely good.  George even said it was on par with Blue Samari which is really saying something!

Each meal comes with an onion broth soup and a salad.  Both were very good.  My mother's Bento box was enormous.  We all had to take home leftovers.

I was curious what the Teppanyaki area of the restaurant looked like, so as I made my way to the ladies' room, I took a look.  It is a very large area and very open.  Most Teppanyaki places tend to be overly warm but this was just the right temperature.  By the time we left, most of the Teppanyaki tables were almost full.  I'd like to come back and try it some time.

As I was sitting at the booth eating, I noticed there was a word on the window which said otamay.  I was trying to figure out what that might be, then George told it was Yamato spelled backwards.  doh!  Now we call Yamato otamay.

I would have to say that Yamato Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar is a real winner.  We will definitely eat there again.

Yamato Japanese Steak House and Sushi Bar
The Shops at Wiregrass
28211 Paseo Drive
Wesley Chapel FL 33543
813-907-8701

M-F: 10am-9pm
Sat: 10am-10pm
Sun: 11am-9pm

No comments:

Post a Comment