Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Most Awesome Sesame Chicken in the Universe


Okay, I know the title of this post is a little over the top but hey, it's true.  This is one of the best new recipes I made in 2009.

Now, I loves me a new recipe ... but I love Chinese food even more.  So, when I saw this wonderful web site, Blogchef, from Bobby in Recipes, I was really excited.  It lists all the fabulous dishes I love to order from Chinese takeout.  The only thing it was missing was Shrimp with Lobster Sauce but I already know how to make that.  So, now I have my own little Chinese takeout in my very own kitchen. I doubled the sauce since I-like-a-the-sauce.  Also, for a little veg, I added finely chopped broccoli.  For the cooking oil, I used half vegetable oil and half coconut oil.  Yes, coconut oil is good for you!  I fry almost everything in coconut oil.  It gives everything a wonderful taste.  More on coconut oil later.

You will need:

2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons raw sesame seeds
2 green onions (sliced)

For the Marinade:

1 teaspoon chicken base
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
ground white pepper to taste
1 tablespoon raspberry wine (or any fruity flavored wine)

For the batter:

1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 egg (beaten)
1/2 cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
salt to taste
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Sauce:

3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons sugar
salt to your taste
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon white distilled vinegar
black pepper to your tastes



Cut the chicken into 1 inch chunks.  Combine the marinade ingredients and mix well.  Add the chicken and coat evenly.  Cover this and put in the frig for 30 minutes.

In a separate bowl combine all of the batter ingredients and mix.  The batter should be the consistency of really thick pancake batter.  If not, just add a bit more water.

Remove the pieces of chicken from the marinade and dip them into the batter to coat.  Deep fry the chicken in batches for about 10 minutes until golden brown.  Drain.

Combine the sauce ingredients in a pan and warm over medium heat.  Bring to a boil while stirring and simmer until it thickens.



I placed my chicken in the pan to coat with the sauce but you can just put in a serving dish if you like.  Coat the chicken with the sauce and garnish with sesame seeds and scallions.


1 comment:

  1. Looks great! I love seeing what you are cooking up for George! You should blog more often :-)

    ReplyDelete