Sunday, August 2, 2009

And now...for something completely different...

Well, I found out a few weeks ago that I am now a Type 2 Diabetic. This changes my blog site a bit as I will now be presenting recipes that are more attuned to a diabetic diet. My good doctor, Dr. Todd, has been very thorough in my care. She also believes that I can get my sugar under control through diet and exercise. So far, I have been trying to do both. Even though I am not perfect, it does seem to be working.

I really believe that the most important part of curing diabetes is exercises. For example, yesterday I had my mom and mother-in-law over for lunch. I made a wonderful dish (recipe to be posted above) and a dessert. Both recipes were from my new favorite cookbook, Cook Yourself Thin. Although it is not really a diabetic recipe book, the dishes are low in calories and very healthy. The only problem I have with the book is the fact that there are no nutritional facts listed other than calories. It would be nice if the carbohydrates and sugars were listed.

So, we had lunch, which was a wonderful Sweet and Sour Pork, and then had dessert. The dessert is called Deep Dark Chocolate Cake. It is made with almond flour, regular flour, buttermilk, etc. It does have some sugar in it but not much. After dessert, the moms left and I started to get extremely tired. I have learned that this tired sleepy feeling is the first sign that my sugar is high. I tested my sugar and it was 194. Yikes! That damn cake! I laid down in my bed for about five minutes and realized that this was not going to get my sugar down. So, off to walk! I walked for about 20 minutes. I then re-tested my sugar and it went down to 104! That is a true testimate to the power of exercise in lowering blood sugar. I felt soooo much better.

Another lesson learned...even though something may be low in sugar, it may not be low enough for me. Even some foods that are considered okay for diabetics are not always right for me. So, there is a testing phase when you have diabetes as to what foods will raise your sugars.

I will post more updates regarding my progress in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment