Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Publix's All Natural Tuscan Minestrone

Well, I'm back.  It's been a sad and long couple of months since our beloved Bobbi passed away.  For 19 years she gave me and my husband such joy and happiness.  We are devastated and will miss her forever.

We now have a new member of our family and his name is Merlin.  He's an 8-month-old Maine Coon mix and is full of energy.  I didn't realize how much I missed having a pet around the house.  He's a good boy.

Okay, on to the review.  I went to Publix yesterday with my mom just to pick up a few things.  I wandered over by their premade sandwiches in the deli and saw the all natural soups in the same case.  I've known about their soups for a while but never really wanted to try it.  You see, I am the Soup Queen which means I make the best soups you will ever eat.  So, how can a store-bought soup be any good?   You'd be surprised.

I'm always looking for new things to try for lunch.  I'm usually not hungry during lunch but know I need to eat something or I will pig out at dinner.  I absolutely love soup but can't always make fresh soup.  Quite frankly, I have a problem with frozen soup also.  I don't know what it is but I feel like it has a strange taste after it has been frozen and is not as fresh. 

So, for lunch today I open up a can of the Publix All Natural Tuscan Minestrone.  Before I bought it, I searched the label for MSG or other nasty things and found none.  Then I noticed today as I was eating it, the container says "no preservatives."  Doh!  It is convenient too.  You open the container, slide the included safety sleeve over the container, and microwave for 1 1/2 minutes, stir, then another 1 1/2 minutes.  I like really hot soup, so I microwaved it 30 seconds more and it was perfect.

I have to say this is a fine soup.  It is very flavorful and full of veggies.  There is no weird aftertaste and it is very hearty.  I did add a pinch more salt and a tiny bit of onion powder.  I put onion powder on everything.

So, I'm impressed.  I was not expecting a store-bought soup to be this good. I can't wait to try their others.  I believe I saw cream of tomato and cream of broccoli.  This is a great lunch-time meal.  Oh, and I could only eat half the container.  There are two servings in a 16 ounce container which, for me, was plenty.  I'll give the rest to George for his lunch.

Here are the vitals on this awesome soup:

1 Cup serving size; total fat 3.5g; no trans fat; 140 calories per serving; 19g of carbs with 5 gm fiber; 460mg sodium;

No comments:

Post a Comment